Saginaw Michigan History
The story of Bridgeport, Saginaw County, Michigan, originally published in 1912, contained numerous biographical sketches of the early settlers. In a new 48-page booklet titled "Saginaws County in Michigan and the USA," residents of Bay City (now Bay County) recall the history of their community in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The spiral bound book was compiled from sources found in the Michigan State University Library, the University of Michigan Museum of Natural History and other sources.
History of Saginaw County in Michigan and the USA "includes and illustrates historical, commercial, and biographical sketches of the early settlers of Bridgeport and Bay City in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The old depot, built in 1861 by the Saginaw, Jackson and Lansing Railroad, is located in Lot 5, Block 32, near the village of Zilwaukee. It is on the National Register of Historic Sites and has a long history as a railway station and industrial centre. The city of 300 people is the second largest city in the state of Michigan and the third largest in Michigan after Detroit.
The Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad built a short branch line to Zilwaukee, and the Mid-Michigan Railroad played a role in the exchange with Lake State in Paines west of the city. Northern Michigan Utilities sold the bus operation to Saginaw City Lines for five years, which continued to operate until the 1960s.
Today, Saginaw is home to Lake State Railway, which continues to run trains to destinations such as Midland, Bay City and Plymouth. Mich. covers 1,048 square feet. The river originates from the confluence of the Tittabawassee and Shiawassee rivers and flows through the city to flow into the Gulf of Michigan and then into Lake Michigan at the Huron. It runs through the heart of the city, with moorings on the north side and access to the Detroit River and Flint River.
The city of Saginaw and Sagenaw County are part of what is known as Mid-Michigan, an area with a population of about 1.5 million people. It is the second largest city in the state of Michigan and the third largest city in Michigan. Although part of the Great Lakes Bay region, along with neighboring Bay City, Midland and Mount Pleasant, it is only a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico and Lake Huron and is home to the Michigan State University campus and the US Naval Academy.
Bay County was founded by the Michigan Legislature in 1857 and is located in the western part of the Great Lakes Bay region of Michigan, north of Lake Huron. Today, the area includes the city of Saginaw and Sagenaw County, as well as parts of Bay City, Midland and Mount Pleasant. The original settlement, which later became the town of Saginawsbebe, was located in Bay County (organized as a county government) on the east side of Great Lake Bay and was located at the intersection of Grand River Road and Bay Street.
It was in 1816 that Louis Campau established a trading post on the west bank of the Saginaw River, and shortly after that the United States founded Fort Sagenaw. The inhabitants prospered and the village was incorporated as a village in 1854, but it quickly became a town with its own police, fire brigade and school system. It quickly became the site of a post office, a hospital, a public school, and the home of the city's first police chief.
The waterways of the Saginaw River system connected the communities and industry of the region to the world through Sagenaw Bay, but they also meant that pollutants were transported and concentrated from the entire catchment area into the Saginaws River and Bay. To find a new source of revenue, the city of Sageaw sold the water to other cities, including Detroit, Flint, Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids, Michigan.
In the late 1940s, Saginaw and Midland agreed to work together to build the Grand Traverse Trail, the first public-private partnership in Michigan's history. The spot where the trail crosses the Flint River is known as "GrandTraverse's largest Crossing Place."
On the west side of the river, the former Fort Saginaw was built, a town that was taken over by Sganaw County in 1857 to house the seat of government. On the east side, the present city of Sagenaw was created, which resulted from the fusion of two cities founded in the late 18th and early 19th centuries: Sanganaw City and West Side. The communities merged in 1890, and East Sarinaw was officially incorporated two years later. In 1858, the two cities were founded as Santon, Michigan, with a population of about 1,000; in March 1890, they were merged into the present city - by - SAGANAW. And in 1857, on the occasion of today's Sesquicentennial, it was founded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Michigan State Police along with the city of Flint.